Import/export Outlook Rules
As you know, you can create rules in Outlook 2016 for any message. So, Outlook also provides you a feature to import or Export rules, so that others can also use them. Whenever you import rules to your Outlook account, It is always added to end of the existing list of rules. You must have one thing in your mind while importing the rules to Outlook is that you cannot import multiple sets of rules at a time. Moreover, on the other hand, when you export Rules from Outlook, they are saved in a file with .rwz extension. The file with this extension can only be opened and used within Outlook.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to import/export a set of Rules.
- In your Outlook window, click on File tab present on the top left corner.
- On next window click on Manage Rules & Alerts available on right side of the window.
- Click on options present on the right corner of the next window.
- Follow following steps to import and Export Rules in Outlook.
- Click on import rules option present on the current window.
- Select whichever rule you want to import one by one
- Lastly, click on the Open button which is located at the bottom of the screen. Moreover, you will notice you have imported the contact.
Note: – if you want to import the Rules which not present in Rules and Alert wizard, such as rules which are compatible with the previous version of Outlook, click the file type in Files of Type list. Moreover, click on Open button present at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on Export Rule option available on the current window
- Select the folder where you to want to save the rule file after you export it
- Then in File name box, type the name of a set of Rules which you want to export.
- If somehow you want to export a file which contains the rule that is only compatible with the previous version of Outlook, in Save as Type list, select one of the following: –
- Outlook 98 Compatible Rules Wizard
- Outlook 2000 Compatible Rules Wizard
- Outlook 2002 Compatible Rules Wizard
Finally, click on SAVE button.
Tips: – This procedure is also helpful in creating a backup copy of your rules.