Create a new rule in Outlook 2016
A rule is an action for windows that Outlook 2016/2013 runs on incoming and outgoing messages automatically. You can choose what will trigger the rule. Moreover, what action that rule will perform? For example – You can create a new rule that will move all the messages from a particular client to one folder automatically. This Method will allow you to keep a copy of each message that Outlook will forward if you have configured that rule.
The benefit of using rules is that it reduces the manual and repetitive actions of managing your emails. The rules run automatically and continuously when you turn it on. So we can say, it saves your time by automatically managing some of the tasks.
How will you create a new rule in Outlook 2016?
You can create the rules in Outlook by following two ways: –
Step1: – Choose a rule template in an Outlook:
- Open your Outlook
- Hit on File. You can find the File tab on the top of the Outlook window on Blue ribbon.
- On right-hand side click on Manage Rules and Alerts.
- A Rules and Alerts dialog box opens, on Email Rules tab, select New Rules.
- A next wizard named as Rule Wizard
- In Rule Wizard, under Step 1” Select a template” pick one of the default templates under following blocks: – Stay Organised, Stay Up to Date, or, Start from a Blank Rule.
Step 2: – Edit the Rule Description:
Whichever rule template you chose in step 1 has slightly different option in Step 2. For example, we will select the first Template which is most often used by the people. For instance, “Move message from someone to a folder.”
- Choose people or public group in the Edit the rule description box to display your address book. You can either choose the name from address book or type the person’s email address in the From box whose message you want to trigger, and finally hit on ok
- In the second step choose the Specified option to display the list of your folder. In this step, you can indicate an existing Folder. Moreover, the new folder where you would like to trigger the When you have selected the desired folder hit on OK button.
- Move message from someone to a folder: –
- Choose the people or public Folder link
- The Rule address dialog box appears, perform one of the following: –
- There you can find the SEARCH BOX. You need to enter your name in that search box.
More about Creating a new rule:
- You can also select the name from the Address book list, choose a source whatever is the location of yours Addresses.
- When your desired selection is displayed on From Box, Click on OK
- Choose the Specified Folder link, a new dialog box for Rules and Alerts
- Pick the folder of your choice, or you can also create new Folder, then click on OK Button Present at the bottom of the Wizard.
- Choose Next Button, which takes you to Step3 wizard asking you to “Set Conditions for a Rule.”
- In Step1 Select Condition tick the conditions you want to add.
- In Step2 Edit the Rule Description, click on the link and complete the action which it offers you when accomplished choose OK
- Click on Next Button at the bottom.
- The Next window is Rule Wizard, where you can choose the exception that is present in the rule.
- After performing the required actions, click on Next
- In the next window, click on Finish button present at the bottom.
- At the end when you reach the first wizard, click Apply button and Then Ok
Take benefits by creating new rules in Outlook 2016, 2013 and other versions:
Finally, Now you know how to use this feature of Outlook and take the benefit of it. This feature can increase the efficiency of your work. As it saves the time of repetitive and manual action, again and again, you just need to set the rules once, and it is performed automatically, whenever needed.
In the above article, I just explained its one action. However, there are many activities available. Where a Business person can use it for the office work, On the other hand, a regular home user can also take advantage of it. You can automatically sort the messages in folders. Moreover, you can automatically delete the message which you do not want to read. Other than that, you can even automatically set a rule to forward the message. You can also Create a rule from any particular message.