Fix AutoComplete Outlook
Outlook offers you the feature of autocomplete which means whenever you type something in a box, autocomplete starts displaying the name and contact as you start typing. The names which are shown by autocomplete are the possible matches of all the email addresses and the contacts that you have gathered from the emails sent or received in the past.
The Outlook does not have the autocomplete feature, rather than it has autosuggest feature and checks the name feature.
AutoComplete VS AutoSuggest:
The difference between autosuggest and autocomplete is that autosuggest uses the cache which contains the list of previously using contacts unlike autocomplete which has a direct relation to your contact folder and other address list constructed in your address book.
The other feature which Outlook has checks names, this function is also similar to autocomplete. Check name works as a background process by default.
Check Names A Background process: –
As mentioned above, check names is a background process which works by default. There is no need of turning it on and off. When you type only a part of the name or email address in the block, then it starts working in the body section. Then check name activates in the background and start searching for a name or email address similar to partially typed name on the block. If only once an address is same the check names will autocorrect it. Moreover, if it finds various addresses similar to it, then it will underline the address with a red color scribble line.
After completing your work when you click on the send button to send the message, then you might receive an error about correcting the email address.
Check Names Interactive: –
The ‘check name’ interactive works when you start typing the name or Email address in the ‘To box’ and without completing it you press the Check Names button available on the blue ribbon. To run check names, you can also use the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+K) keys.Once you have activated the Check Names after that, you can search the contact from the address book.In any case, you do not have the big list of contacts and only one name get a match with your search query then this function will mention that single name in the ‘TO’ field. On the other hand, if check names find multiple contacts under one name then you will have the list of the determined people. You can pick the preferred contact from the list.
Steps to turn off the Check names- background feature: –
- Open your Outlook
- Click on File tab available on top of the Outlook window.
- Hit on Options available on left side of the window.
- Under Outlook Options, select Mail available under General.
- Scroll down the window till you reach the Send message option.
- In the list under Send Message, click on the checkbox in front of Automatic name checking.
- Lastly, click on OK
Check if autocomplete is enabled: –
Before turning off the autocomplete you should check whether autocomplete is enabled or not: – Sometimes it may happen that autocomplete is already turned off and you are wasting your time in turning off the autocomplete which was already disabled.
- Open your Outlook
- Click on File tab of the main window.
- Select Options available on left hand side.
- Choose the Mail Tab now.
- Under Mail scroll down roughly. until you find Send Message. Make sure to use AutoComplete List to suggest names. When you type in To, Cc, and the Bcc lines.
- Confirm it here If it is checked or not. Moreover, click on the Empty Auto-Complete list button available at the bottom of the screen.
- You will receive the confirmation pop-up, click on Yes
- Hence, You have successfully enabled the AutoComplete.
By reading the above article you can easily use this functionality of enabling and disabling the Autocorrect. If you are not able to do it on your own. Moreover, It is still not working even if it enabled then you can call the toll-free support number.
There are some other articles those can help you in learning new features of outlook. CLICK HERE